Translate

Tuesday 13 August 2013

Despicable Me 2 - Review

      Well hello, haven't I been great at this lately? So I said a couple of weeks ago that I had writer's block, plus a distinct lack of motivation to actually force myself to write anything at all. That really peaked last week, so I decided to just give myself some space by not blogging last week. (The Friday before I just straight up forgot to post and was busy the whole weekend.) Anyway, I went to see Despicable Me 2 on Friday, it was very spontaneous and probably made more fun because I was with two of my best friends, who are pretty much as mentally juvenile as me.
http://www.filmofilia.com/despicable-me-2-promo-clip-150630/
       As with The World's End and Monster's University, I included a trailer for Despicable Me 2 here, but I will include another one, being as there are so many and they're all really cute.


      Despicable Me 2 was released in the UK on the 28th of June this year, and opens with a top secret Arctic research base being stolen by a giant magnet. Cut to: Gru's mansion hosting a birthday party for Agnes - probably the cutest kid in any film ever. There is fancy dress, there are minions, there is a costume change which tugs at the hearts strings. There are evil minions, there are cupcakes, there is a Cinco de Mayo party complete with a tortilla hat with guacamole in the rim. 
      The film stars Steve Carell and Russell Brand, as did the prequel, with the addition of Kristen Wiig as Lucy and Benjamin Bratt as the mysterious 'Eduardo'.
       The film is colourful, vibrant, has a very different and engaging storyline and some new characters which compliment the familiar characters perfectly. The minions are just as adorable and get up to even more shenanigans. This clip isn't included, but if you haven't seen it, you need to - and if you have, well you should just watch it again:
           
                                
        Ahem. So, I read on a few social media sites etc. that some people felt like a sequel wasn't needed, or they should have just made a film with the minions (which apparently they are considering, but I didn't actually read that anywhere credible so they might not be at all) but in relation to a sequel not being necessary - it did have some good character development, and personally, I found that it was a nice extension to the narrative in the first film. As to the film only being of the minions - who wouldn't miss the sarcastic quips from Gru, and perhaps, even more than that, just how cute Agnes is? Every character in that film contributes and a second film was a smart move. I think a third film of all of them might feel a bit contrived, so perhaps in that instance, maybe the best scenario would just be a minion film. Honestly though, I can only the minions being in shorts, rather than a feature film. (I wouldn't mind being wring at all though)
        Anyway; I don't really have any negative points about this film, in fact one of the big positive things about this film is that the villain isn't as teeth grindingly irritating as Vector. I don't know if I enjoyed it the whole pandas, but that was definitely affected by the stupid woman just in front of me who was texting on her iPhone the whole time. I'm excited for this film to come out on DVD so I can watch it again. For now, I think I want to give this four stars, but perhaps when I watch it again I'll add an editor's note or something to say that actually, without someone sending pointless, distracting texts and looking up directions, the film is worth more.

Oops, added half a panda.

           So, once again - I'm sorry for being away for three posts, I'll be back on Friday to tell stories. Thanks for sticking around (or for dropping in on the off-chance I'd pulled my finger out) and thanks, as ever, for reading.
                                               Laura - xoxoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment